Thursday, February 19, 2015

Grading - The Bane of My Existance

To all you young teachers out there, you will learn very quickly that grading isn't fun.  I love seeing what my students do and how they accomplish their purpose, but the entire institution of assigning a numerical score to that is tough.

What really is the difference between an A and an A-?  90 or 91?

And what is worse is students have determined that those numbers and letters are all that matters.  They are nothing more than a score.

As someone who never went to undergraduate school to become a teacher and did well throughout his years in education, the task of grading seemed, on the surface, to be easy.  The best would do well and the worst wouldn't.  But as the years go by and I get older, I am starting to see the arbitrariness of these scores, but how strongly they weigh on the students and their feelings of adequacy.

Before we left for vacation, most of my classes were working on an essay.  My freshmen were arguing whether or not O Brother, Where Art Thou? is a successful adaptation of The Odyssey (and surprisingly, many thought it wasn't!?!) and my AP students were reflecting on a satirical piece they wrote for the "Teen Onion" (for which I am editor-in-chief).  At the same time, in Digital Writing, we were discussing Crowdsource Grading for our Concept in 60 projects.  So, I decided to ask them what they should be graded on.  We discussed the requirements of the project, and the areas that should have been focused on.  My freshmen came up with the following:

  • Thesis
  • Effectiveness of argument
  • Logic of argument
  • Grammar
  • Examples/Evidence
  • Discussion of examples/evidence (connections)
  • Conclusion 
I thought it was a pretty good list.  

When I suggested to them that we should narrow down this list to 4 or 5, they immediately opted grammar out.  And I was strangely okay with that.  I was more interested in them creating an effective argument, so I thought it was a nice choice.  They seemed a lot more comfortable with discussing the criteria for grading before.  However, I think I need to structure it a bit more.  I am a big fan of Kelly Gallagher, and he does something similar when grading papers, but he has some things in mind and works with the students to model what is an example of an A, B, C, etc.  That is something I think I need to consider when doing this again.  

For the AP classes, things got far more interesting.  They decided that they did not want the assignment to be graded.  Since the purpose of writing the satirical piece was to get them working with satirical techniques, they thought the reflection should explain that and then talk about what they will do moving forward.  Many of the students could not comprehend how that should be graded.  Again, I do not think I gave enough lead-time for students to think about it, so I am okay with them not being graded on this assignment.  One class, however, got a conversation going about the fact that if it doesn't "count," they won't put in a good effort.  I asked them what it means to "count?"  We never quite got an answer.

This idea of including students in coming up with grading criteria is important, and something, going forward, I need to work on.  I think this will also help with focusing my lessons on specific areas of improvement.  Hopefully, this will take the mystique out of grading for them.  

Do you have any thoughts on how grades should be assigned?  Feel free to comment below.

3 comments:

  1. I got a D in Spanish class in college and that was considered passing. I should not have passed that class. I'm glad I did! but I shouldn't have.

    I think the numeric/letter grading system is so ingrained in me that it's hard for me to imagine it any other way. I think some classes would work as pass/fail and others wouldn't.

    Math is quantitative, right? So it makes sense for somebody who gets 95% of the answers correct to get a 95. If somebody gets 2% of the answers correct...they go to summer school.

    But that probably wouldn't work for a class like, say, creative poetry writing. I took a class like that in high school. It was great. We all just sang Kumbaya and everybody got an A as long as they turned in pieces of paper with words on them.

    I kind of wish there were no grades...

    Maybe I should leave this discussion to the other teachers in our class.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm giving a workshop tomorrow for SSU faculty on assessing digital writing across the curriculum. Today, I came across an article I hadn't read before; it was really interesting and got me thinking. The prof's method is informed by Bob Broad's Dynamic Criteria Mapping (DCM) methodology, and works kind of like mine (when I do a genre analysis). The difference is this: she does not assign a grade to the final project. Rather she assigns one grade for all of the scaffolded activities leading up to the final project + the project itself. When I finished the article, I thought to myself, hmmmmm....I really like the idea of assigning a grade to the process rather than the product, of the invention stages that get a writer from a blank page to a multimodal text. I need to do a bit more thinking about this, but I think a grade assigned to process + a reflection essay may be the ticket.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One more thing....grades are also the bane of my existence.

    ReplyDelete