Wednesday, April 1, 2015

How to Find Good Professional Development

For those out there who have yet to enter the teaching field, let me tell you; there is no date more worse on your calendar than Professional Development.  They are my least favorite days of the year.  Why?  My district does a deplorable job of offering teachers useful, honest time to collaborate or to see a speaker and truly develop professionally.  To give you an idea of what ours have been this year, here is a quick rundown (its all from memory, so forgive any lapses):

  1. How to create an email group
  2. Setting up our online gradebook because they updated servers
  3. How to handle the over-anxious student
That was about it folks.

Now, to be fair, my district is particularly bad at funding and holding these development sessions, but I know of others that are better.  But in case you are not in one of those places, here are a few tips on how to develop professionally as a teacher.

-- Attend conferences, specifically the NCTE and NEATE Conference

I go to the NEATE Conference in Mansfield every year.  It is a two day event (I usually can only afford 1 day) that has multiple workshops with a keynote speech during lunch.  It is awesome to sit in with active teachers sharing what they do on a regular basis.  I first discovered Google Docs here as well as the literary debates I hold in my classroom every year.  I knew and understood much of the Common Core before my colleagues from attending a few workshops the year it was the theme.  And I heard from Carol Jago and Eric Palmer, two very influential people in the field during the keynote speech.  I was unable to attend the larger NCTE Conference the year it was in Boston, but plan on going when it is in a drivable distance.

-- Join groups like NCTE and NEATE

Being a member of NEATE, I receive regular emails inviting me to workshops and events, many of which are free.  This past weekend, I spent my Saturday morning at Cambridge Ringe and Latin with Renee Shea and John Golden working on how to develop and teach synthesis to 9th and 10th grade students.  This time is invaluable and worth it, so make it.

-- Follow teachers on Twitter and pay attention for  chat sessions

Each week, AP Language teachers do a #APLangChat on Twitter.  A topic is provided and teachers discuss best practices.  Such a great resource and ways to make connections.

-- Become an AP teacher

I know what this looks like, but it is true.  The training I have received at the AP sessions has transformed my teaching.  Much of it has leaked into the rest of my classes.  Our school has been part of an AP grant for the last few years, so all of it has been paid for.  But if you are given the opportunity to become an AP teacher, take it.  You will not regret giving up a week in the summer for a lifetime of good development.

So those are some of my best ways to receive professional development when you do not get it in your own district.  What are some of your ways you develop professionally?  Leave some comments below.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks, Dan! These are great tips...all of which I will be taking!

    I find the Twitter suggestion especially interesting. I would have never even thought that teachers would communicate to each other here using that hashtag! I am wondering if (from your experience in this community) if it would be inappropriate for a nonAP teacher (but teacher nonetheless) to join in these conversations; I could see this as a way to try to gain some of the awesome strategies you mention getting from being an AP teaching if you aren't asked to

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. be an AP teacher.
      (Sorry it deleted my last few words)

      Delete
  2. Dan, thanks for the tips! These are great suggestions. I had never heard of NEATE before but I just signed up for an account. I'm also all about the English Companion Ning forum for getting lesson ideas and feedback.

    ReplyDelete